Sunday, July 8, 2012

Are you Dating?

James & Yvette 25th Wedding Day 

It has been 25 years and James and I are still dating! To celebrate our silver wedding anniversary, we took a trip to the Grand Cayman Islands.  It was like one big, week-long date where the focus was on just us.  There were no late-evenings in the office, no bills to pay, no phone calls to return, no house to clean; it was just the two of us sitting on a raft in one of the most beautiful blue-green oceans I’ve seemed.                                                                                                                     

Getting on that inner-tub-like raft was an adventurous moment for me.  Even after two sets of swim classes, I am still not comfortable with my ability to swim.  So, I let my fears and doubts go and trusted James to keep me safe.  It was a surreal moment lying out in the ocean with him because it reminded me of our beginning when I trusted him with my whole heart.                                 
 
At that time, it didn’t matter that he still manages to miss the dirty clothes hamper. All that mattered was that we were relaxing and exploring something new, together.

That’s what dating does for every couple, provides space and time for the couple to set aside the day-to-day routines and focus on enjoying each other.    

Throughout the past 25 years, regardless of our income, James and I continued to date.  From picnics at local parks to near-by restaurants, we made spending time alone a priority.
 
One thing I know for sure is that dating is one tool to keep a marriage exciting and fun!  What are you waiting on?  Go plan your date for July.

No comments:

Post a Comment