Saturday, January 2, 2010

Think Myself Happy

My son, Jamison, asked me on new years eve what had I learned in 2009?  Indeed there were many life lessons, but the one that came out of my spirit without thought was, ' I am responsible for my own happiness.'

I could have shared what I learned about managing money, time, health, or what I learned last year about relationships, but no, the most important lesson was what I learned about what makes me really happy and who is responsible for my daily fill of happiness.

Perhaps I learned this most as I listen to some of the couples we coached talk about how their spouses no longer made them happy.  Or, perhaps the realization came as I listened to my single friends talk about how happy they will be once they meet Mr. or Miss. Right.   Not really sure which day or month of 2009 that it really hit me that my happiness is not tied to my salary, bank account balance, my husband's feelings, my bosses attitude, my son's appreciation, nor my family and friends opinions. But, I am certain that I know that I know I am responsible for my happiness.


The apostle Paul must have learned this lesson too because in the book of Acts 26:2.  Paul wrote: " I think myself happy."  The Greek word for happy is makarios which means supremely blest, fortunate, well off, blessed. Webster defined happy as joyous, cheerful, merry, contented, blissful, satisfied, and favorable.  I think Paul's message in Act 26 is that happiness is tied to how we think and how and what we think is totally in our control and totally our responsibility.

Like Paul, I've learned to think myself happy and in 2010, I plan to intentionally work on living a life where I take responsibility for my happiness ..... I know the first step is found in how and what I  think.  What do you think about happiness?  Let me know by taking the survey below.


Yvette Gavin
It's never too late to live happily ever after

www.divinemarriages.org

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be a recurring theme lately. I pray that we are both able to stop waiting for happiness to "just happen" and make it happen instead. We have so many blessings, how could we not be happy??? Love you dear friend. Thanks for the ornament by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete