Saturday, January 3, 2009

Your Marriage can Thrive in 2009!

There are many things I like about this time of the year, but my favorite of them all is stopping the hustle and bustle of life to relax and catch up with family and friends. Today, I had breakfast with a friend who recently celebrated her five-year wedding anniversary. I thought this would be a good time of the year for her since she has good health, a husband, a beautiful little girl, and a great job. But, I was wrong. Our entire conversation was about how unhappy and unsatified she has become with her marriage.

It's my nature to encourage people, and out of that desire to support others, I found myself giving the old knee jerk reply, " hang in there, it will get better with time." But the more I listened to the "he did this..., and I am tired of that ...", the more I realized that I had heard this story before.

Just weeks earlier, I was having dinner with a long-time friend who was saying similar things about her marriage. She was tired of her husband not meeting her needs and the needs of family. They have been married for 26 years. Then it hit me. Time in itself does not solve all problems, and longevity in marriage is not a good indication of a strong, healthy, thriving marriage.

John 10:10 says, "The thief's purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose, says Jesus, is to give life in all of its fullness. " I believe that fullness of life includes a strong, healthy, thriving marriage. Too many people are settling for just staying together, holding it together in form and fashion only. Why just survive a marriage when you can be thriving in marriage? Jesus came to this earth so that you and I can have life. But His plan wasn't that we just have life (survive), His plan included that we have a full, abundant (thriving) life as well.

If you want to move your marriage from surviving to thriving, this is the year to start living a full, abundant life. Here's a tip from Divine Marriages to get you started:

Thriving Marriage Tip:

Start the new year off by asking your spouse the following question:

1. How can I better meet your needs this year?

Never stop asking your spouse this important question. All of us change in one way or another whether we want to admit it or not. Needs and desires will change over time. When couples assume they know what is best or what is wanted by their spouse, they miss a great opportunity to keep the marriage fresh, innovative, and growing.

When you ask your spouse the question, " How can I better meet your needs?," be prepared to really listen with a humble, servant attitude. Don't ever fall into the rut of thinking, "what I am doing now is good enough."

For all seven tips for a thriving marriage in 2009, email me at ygavin@comcast.net and I will send you all seven tips.

What are you doing to keep your marriage thriving? You can help others by posting your ideas and response to this blog.

Enjoy Marriage,
Yvette

5 comments:

  1. Hey Yvette! Great idea for a blog. I will be checking back to get more of your divine advice...Lord knows I need it! :)

    As for something Jeremy and I are doing this year: We started doing the Love Dare (from the movie "Fireproof"). It has brought about some good conversations and is teaching me a lot about my own selfishness. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvette, this is great!
    I like what you said about longevity not being proof of a strong marriage. Marriage is daily work. It is balancing the frustrations and disappointments with remembering the good times and victories accomplished together.
    Since ours is an all adult household, we implemented a monthly meeting where we discuss problems and solutions. That saved us from pointing fingers and made us listem to each other without being defensive.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvette,
    Thank you for such encouraging words. I think no matter how "good" one believes their marriage is, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. I am always searching for ways to communicate to my husband that his needs are very important to me. I can’t wait to see the expression on his face when I ask him "how can I better meet your needs?"
    Be encouraged as you continue to help and encourage others through God's anointed words.
    I pray that God continues to bless you and your family.

    Teslyn Payne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvette,

    This is so awesome. I can’t wait to read the other six thriving marriage tips. My husband and I want a marriage that is thriving not just for us but for our children to see a godly marriage exhibiting the love of Christ. The tools you offer at Divine Marriages are certainly needed in the society we live in today. Keep up the good work. I’ll take you up on tip number one and will listen to my husband with a humble heart. Blessing to you as you encourage us to have a divine, thriving and abundant marriage.

    Wsmith

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God you are good!! You should be writing for one of the top Christian magazines like Christianity Today, Guideposts,Charisma or Today's Christian Woman. Please keep writing Yvette because the more you write the more people get healed through the name of Jesus. This is an excellent write up!!!Don't STOP!!
    This link is for you Yvette. Check it out:
    http://christianity.about.com/od/christianbooksmovies/tp/christmagazines.htm

    ReplyDelete